Monday, January 28, 2013

Whole30-Day 1

Day 1, not so bad.  I've been eating Whole30 appropriate foods on for the past 2 weeks on weekdays so there wasn't a big change for me there.  I didn't have a perfect night's sleep last night, I was a bit restless at times, but overall it was ok.  I ate breakfast about 30 minutes after waking up which is somewhat difficult for me.  I've been eating breakfast consistently for years now but I'm not usually hungry first thing in the morning. 

I started feeling hungry around 10am today which was pretty early for lunch, but it was possibly triggered by the lemon poppyseed muffins that someone left out in the office.  I'm trying really hard not to snack because that is something I struggle with, snacking when I'm just bored or emotional and not when I'm actually hungry.  I'm trying to eat every 4-5 hours and with my commute I'll be stuck in traffic when my time for dinner rolls around, so I may need a little snack somewhere in there to hold me over.  I bought a few PaleoKits so I'll likely start keeping those on hand for emergencies.  At 360 calories per kit they're a little too much for a snack, so I would likely only eat half a bag at a time.

After lunch I definitely had a craving for something sweet, even with the kiwi.  I've never considered myself a sweet tooth but taking away ALL added sugar has really opened my eyes and I realize I'm a bit more hooked than I thought.

I worked out at 6pm tonight, after dinner, and when I got home the hunger started kicking in big time around 8pm.  I resisted, only having a few scraps of turkey while I was making my lunch for tomorrow, but it was tough!

Breakfast (6:25am):  2 eggs scrambled with coconut milk in coconut oil, diced yellow bell pepper, and caramelized onions.  1 breakfast sausage patty, 1/4 avocado, sauteed mushrooms, and brussels sprouts.
Breakfast Comments:  I was really full and I didn't even finish all the brussels sprouts and mushrooms.  I've been eating sauteed mushrooms for breakfast for the past couple weeks and I think it might be time to give those a rest because they weren't very appetizing for me today.  I also wasn't a big fan of my brussels sprouts preparation this week.  I made a great version last week, using The Paleo Mom's recipe and adding in some fennel.  They were delicious, but the bacon I used wasn't Whole30 compliant.  I need to place an order for some bacon from US Wellness Meats so I can make these brussels again! 

Lunch (11:20am):  Romaine lettuce leaves with homemade mayo, spicy brown mustard, grape tomatoes, and 4 oz. Applegate Farms Oven Roasted Turkey breast (from the deli counter).  Small kiwi fruit, 1/4 avocado, carrots and celery.
Lunch Comments:  I started making these little lettuce turkey wraps last week and I love them!  I ran out of turkey for a couple days and substituted with Wild Planet tuna that I can buy in bulk (and cheap!) at Costco and they were equally as good.  Since I used mayo on the wraps, I only ate 1/4 of an avocado with this meal.  I was full and content but not stuffed, I'm really loving this lunch!

Dinner (5:00pm):  Giant salad dressed with a little avocado oil and lime juice, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 small sweet potato, grape tomatoes, diced yellow bell pepper, and shredded chicken breast that was cooked in a crockpot with a jar of a Trader Joe's W30 compliant salsa.
Dinner Comments:  This was an awesome salad and I LOVE this chicken.  It's ridiculous how easy it is, just throw a few chicken breasts in the crockpot with 1 jar of salsa and set it on low for a few hours (depending on how much chicken you use).  Once you can easily shred it with a fork, pull it out and make sure to pour all the juice on top!  Makes for easy meals throughout the week and can be made in bulk and frozen for future use.

Sleep:  7.5 hours
Exercise:  50 minute class at Body R&D.  This class was awesome!  I got a deal for 5 classes through Gilt City and this was my first time going.  I'm starting CrossFit on Sunday so I don't know how often I'll get to go but if you took this class on a regular basis you would definitely see some major changes in  your body.  Plus it's only a few blocks away from me so super convenient!  If you're in Chicago and looking to change up your workout routine I highly recommend giving Body R&D a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment