Sunday, February 10, 2013

Paleo Breakfast Casserole

I promised a Breakfast Casserole recipe and this one definitely does not disappoint!  This makes a very large casserole that I've estimated is about 6 servings.

Paleo Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients

For the sausage:
1 lb ground pork (you can use ground beef as well if you can't find happy pork near you!)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you want a little spice-once the whole casserole is mixed together you don't really get any heat from this small amount at all)


For the casserole:
10 large eggs
1 medium sweet potato, shredded (my potato made about 3 cups shredded)
1 cup diced bell peppers (I used red for a little color)
1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes 
1 cup coconut milk (I used Trader Joe's which is a "light" version only because I can't find any regular coconut milk that only has coconut milk and water as ingredients.  I would try and use the full fat version if I could find it)
~1/2 bag frozen chopped kale (could substitute with frozen chopped spinach)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375° F.  Spread a very thin layer of ghee or other oil onto a large casserole dish (I used a clear 13"x9" Pyrex baking dish).

In a medium bowl, combine ground pork with salt, pepper, sage, and cayenne.  Mix with hands until spices are evenly distributed.  Brown your ground pork in a skillet.  Set aside to cool.  *This step can be done the night before and cooled overnight in the refrigerator.  You just don't want to add anything too hot to the egg mixture, otherwise you'll cook the eggs!

In a large bowl, beat your eggs so you get a uniform consistency.
Add the coconut milk to the eggs and mix to combine.  Microwave your kale for just about 1 minute so it's not totally frozen.  Throw the kale and the rest of your ingredients into the bowl with the eggs and coconut milk and mix until well combined.  Pour your mixture into your baking dish and bake at 375° F for 1 hour, or until top is firm and a little brown.  Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!



I make this huge casserole to eat as breakfast for the entire week.  This is great reheated and I think the flavors are even better the day after.  You can totally customize this with whatever kind of veggies you want to add in.  I top mine with a little avocado and salsa for a perfectly easy breakfast!

3 comments:

  1. Umm..my husband and I LOVE this recipe! Its awesome! Seriously, been paleo for 3+ years and always struggled with Breakfast. We been trying tons of recipes for paleo breakfasts o mix it up lately and this hits all marks: yummy, makes a ton, filling and has a bunch of Veggies AND Meat! Great job! Will Share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine! Thanks for the comment and sorry for the delayed response, I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely going to make this....thanks for sharing your recipe and the lovely tutorial.

    ReplyDelete